Weddings are one of a lifetime event that every bride wishes to make it the most memorable and excited celebration of her lifetime. Thus, finding your perfect dress can be very challenging. There are so many designs, styles, shapes and colors available that it has become very confusing for a bride to decide what she really wants.
Know Your Body:
Before shopping for a wedding dress. It is very important that one should know her body shape/type. Which can help her figure out what dress silhouette will suits her body shape/type better.
The best way to help you figure out your body shape is by measuring your shoulder, waist and hips. Below are the most common body shapes and types.
- Hourglass: your shoulders and hips are around same measurements and your waistline is much smaller as compare to your hips and shoulders. The best wedding dress silhouette to define your curves are Mermaid/Trumpet, A-Line/Princess, and Sheath
To study more about Hourglass body shape: http://www.look-fabulous.com/work/hourglass-shaped-body
- Apple: Your chest and wait measurements are similar and your hips are slightly smaller than your waist. The best wedding dress silhouette for your body shape are A-Line/Princess, Ball Gown and Empire Waist dresses.
To study more about Apple body shape http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-apple.php
- Pear: Your hips are wider than your shoulder and waist, making them the widest part of your body. The best wedding dress silhouette to define your body shape are Mermaid/Trumpet, A-Line/Princess, and Sheath
To study more about Pear body shape: http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-pear.php
- Rectangle: Your shoulders, waistline, bust and hips are around the same measurements. The best wedding dress silhouettes to define your shape and will emphasis on your waist are Sheath, A-Line, and Empire Waist.
To study more about Rectangle body shape http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-rectangle.php
- Inverted Triangle: Your shoulders are the widest part of your body and your waist is also slightly bigger than you hips. The best wedding dress silhouette for your body shape are Ball Gown, A-Line and Empire Waist
To study more about Inverted Triangle body shape http://www.joyofclothes.com/style-advice/shape-guides/the-inverted-triangle.php
You can find so many different sizes in any bridal boutiques . These sizes are based on the standard measurement and it is not guaranteed that the dress will fit you 100%. Therefore, at many bridal boutiques offer alterations. So, they can fit your dream dress according to your true measurements. Below are the most common sizes available in stores.
- Petite: A petite clothing size is designed to fit women of shorter height, typically 5 ft 3 in or less. The best wedding dresses for petite sizes are Empire Waist, A-Line/Princess, and Sheath
- Tall: A taller clothing size is designed for women usually 5’8″ or above.The best wedding dresses for petite sizes are Mermaid/Trumpet, Ball Gown, and Sheath
- Misses: The misses clothing size is the most common size category. For women of about average height of 5’4″
- Plus Size: According to PLUS Model magazine; “In the fashion industry, plus size is identified as sizes 12-24, super size as sizes 4X-6X and extended size as 7X and up”. The best wedding dresses for petite sizes are A-Line/Princess and Empire Waist
- A-Line: Are fitted from top and slightly flared at the bottom. They are designed to disguise the heavy bottoms and are very flattering on most body types.
- Empire Style: Empire waistline is above the natural waistline. It’s right underneath the bust. This style looks best on smaller bust or petite figures.
- Ball Gown: A very formal and vintage dress silhouette. Fitted at bodice with a very full skirt. This style looks great on average to tall height women.
- Sheath: A figure-hugging silhouette, best look for woman who likes to show her curves.
- Trumpet: This style fits closely to the body till mid-hip, and than gradually flares to the hem. This style adds curves on straight figures to give more feminine look.
- Mermaid: Similar to trumpet style. This style fits closely to the body from chest to the knee, and than flares out to the hem.